I rescued this antique armoire from my parents storage building. They originally bought this piece shortly after they got married and had plans to restore it. Unfortunately, in the process, it fell over and the original mirror and top section broke. It set unused for 30 or more years until I snapped it up! This is what is looked like when I brought it home (all except the ceramic knob...I was trying knobs out).
I wasn't sure at first what I wanted for the center where the mirror was. I pondered several options and at one point thought I might just leave it. I like rustic, but after starring at it for awhile, I decided it was a little too rustic. I love the detail in the carvings!
(please ignore the curtain rod and curtains. They need to be raised up and hemmed.)
The centered measured 17" wide by 40" long. I found this antique tin piece on Ebay. It measured 24" wide by 40" long and knew I would have to cut it to fit. When looking for tin I had to find a pattern that would not look strange after I cut it. Some vintage tin is very intricate and would not work for my project. I paid around $30.00 (including s&h) for this piece.
I cut equal amounts off each side using tin snips. When handling tin and using tin snips make sure to wear thick work gloves and safety glasses. The the edges of the tin and the tin snips are sharp! I laid down a drop cloth to protect my floors. This was such a messy job!
After I slide in the cut tin, I reattached the top piece.
The original paint on the tin was a peachy orange color and didn't quite go with my color scheme. ;) So, I painted it a pale blue color. After the blue paint dried I painted the raised areas with creamy white paint to bring out the design.
This was such a simple project that really made a ton of difference to the look of this piece. I liked it before but I adore it now!
I am still undecided on whether or not to paint the armoire. I am liking it now, but I am constantly changing my mind so who knows...I'll keep you posted. :)
Linking Up At...